This red, white and blue cake is a perfect 4th of July dessert. Or, simply re-arrange the fruit to serve it anytime of the year.
1 cup water
1 cup instant mashed potato buds
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
4 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 (12-ounce) package NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Morsels
1 (8-ounce) container frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
2 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and paper-line 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Heat water to boiling in a small saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in potato buds until moistened. Cool to room temperature. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Beat sugar and butter until crumbly. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat in potatoes. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with milk. Stir in morsels. Spoon into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert onto wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to serving platter.
- Frost sides and top of cake with whipped topping. Arrange strawberry slices and blueberries on top of cake to represent the American Flag.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.