Key Lime Macadamia Nut Cupcakes
Delightful cupcakes bursting with tropical flavors like key lime, coconut and macadamia nuts and topped with shredded coconut and cream cheese frosting.
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon zest and 1/4 cup juice from Key limes, may substitute regular limes
3/4 cup canned coconut milk
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup clover honey*
2 large eggs
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons clover honey*
4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- For Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a liquid measure, combine Key lime zest and juice, and coconut milk; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy; scraping sides of bowl, as necessary. Add honey; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl after each addition. Add half of the reserved dry ingredients to the butter mixture; mix on low until just combined. With mixer running on low, slowly add the lime mixture. Add remaining dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in coconut and macadamia nuts.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove to wire rack; cool.
- Frost with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting, if desired.
- For Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting: In a mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add lime juice and honey; mix well. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until desired spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes and top with coconut.
Makes 12 to 16 cupcakes.
*Any mild-flavored honey such as clover may be used
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Honey Board.