Macadamia Fudge Torte
Puréed pears and a hint of cinnamon add moistness and flavor to this decadent chocolate fudge and macadamia nut torte topped with caramel sauce.
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 (18.25-ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 (16-ounce) can sliced pears, drained
2 large eggs
1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts or pecans
2 teaspoons water
1 (17-ounce) jar caramel fudge ice cream topping
1/3 cup milk
Vanilla ice cream for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9 or 10-inch springform pan.
- In small saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat until chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, cinnamon and oil; blend at low speed for 20 to 30 seconds or until crumbly. (Mixture will be dry.)
- Place pears in blender or food processor; cover and blend until smooth.
- In another large bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups of the cake mix mixture, puréed pears and eggs; beat at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Drop filling by spoonfuls over the batter.
- Stir nuts and water into remaining cake mix mixture. Sprinkle evenly over filling.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack. Remove sides of pan. Cool 1 1/2 hours or until completely cooled.
- In small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until well blended, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, spoon 2 tablespoons warm sauce onto each serving plate; top with wedge of torte and scoop of ice cream.
Makes 12 servings.