Maple Walnut Pound Cake
This scrumptious maple-flavored cake, rich with crunchy walnuts, is the perfect ending to a great meal.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cups California walnuts, chopped
1/8 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon maple flavoring
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
Walnut halves or chopped walnuts for garnish
- For Cake: In mixer bowl cream butter and sugars until fluffy. In another bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. In measuring cup combine milk and 3/4 tablespoon maple flavoring; beat into butter mixture alternatively with flour mixture. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Mix in 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts.
- Turn into greased 9 or 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake in lower third of a preheated 300°F (150°C) oven 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes, just until pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle with Maple Glaze and garnish with walnuts.
- For Maple Glaze: In a small bowl mix powdered sugar with enough milk to make a glaze of thick pouring consistency. Stir in maple flavoring.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Walnut Marketing Board.