Marvelous Maraschino Pound Cake
Everyone appreciates a colorful cake, and here's a way to make a good thing even better. This recipe adds a new twist to a holiday favorite. Make this easy-to-prepare cake together with the kids, so everyone can join in the fun. Convert these fun, festive mini pound cakes into the perfect holiday hostess gift, teacher gift or more. Simply bake them in a decorative tin, or create your own bright packaging by adding a seasonal ribbon.
1 1/4 cups butter or margarine, softened
2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand™ Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 cups quartered maraschino cherries, well drained
- In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract on low speed until blended, then on high
- speed 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with sweetened condensed milk to creamed mixture, mixing lightly after each addition. Fold in cherries.
- Turn batter into a greased and floured 6-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving. Store leftovers covered.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Cherry Growers.