Marzipan Cake with Raspberry Sauce
A splendid marzipan cake—a sweet, delectable almond paste confection. For an appealing presentation, serve wedges of this rich cake in a swirl of the raspberry sauce.
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 (8-ounce) can almond paste, crumbled
4 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoons kirsch or orange juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon kirsch or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2/3 cup fresh raspberries
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan; line with parchment or wax paper and grease. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl, set aside.
- Beat the butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add almond paste; beat at low speed 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in kirsch. Add the reserved flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until batter is well blended.
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In another bowl, beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form; gently fold into the batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minute; remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
- To serve, cut cake into wedges. Swirl a small amount of the Raspberry Sauce onto individual serving plates creating a pool and top with a wedge of cake in the center. Decoratively drizzle additional sauce over cake, as desired.
- For Raspberry Sauce: Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and jam melts. Remove from heat, and stir in kirsch. Cool completely.
- Gently fold raspberries into cooled sauce. Cover and chill thoroughly. Makes 1 1/4 cups sauce.
Makes 12 servings.