Merry Meringue Cake
An impressive, light-as-air dessert that is sure to please family and friends with its sensational melt-in-the-mouth texture. Maximize the pleasure with a simple, lightly sweetened, fresh fruit sauce spooned atop individual servings.
4 large eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed until foamy. Add 3/4 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together butter and remaining sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat until thoroughly blended. In small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to batter alternately with milk, blending well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and juice.
- Pour into 2 (8 x 1 1/2-inch round) cake pans lined on bottom with waxed paper. Spread reserved meringue over batter in each pan, gently smoothing tops.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Turn off oven. Let stand in oven 5 minutes. Cool on wire racks. To serve, stack layers on serving plate or platter.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 323, Protein 5 g, Carbohydrates 44 g, Total Fat 14 g, Cholesterol 138 mg, Sodium 286 mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Egg Board.