Mini Peppermint Cupcakes
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 tablespoon prepared coffee
1/2 cup coarsely crushed red and white striped hard peppermint candies or candy canes
- For Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line mini cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. In large bowl, mix canola oil, milk and vinegar. Add half of dry ingredients into oil. When well combined, add peppermint extract. Slowly mix in remaining dry ingredients until fully combined and free of lumps.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners with small ice cream scoop or spoon.
- Bake cupcakes for 12 minutes. Cool completely on rack.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make glaze.
- For Glaze: In saucepan, mix cream, chocolate, honey and coffee on low heat. Stir until smooth. Let cool.
- Dip cooled cupcakes in chocolate glaze. Place on rack and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies. Let glaze harden.
Makes 36 servings.
*To crush the peppermint candies, put them in a zip-top bag and crush with a rolling pin or use a food processor.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/36 of recipe): Calories: 110; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Total Carbs: 15g; Fiber: 0g; Sugar: 10g; Protein: 1g; Sodium: 100mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.