Not Your Average Pound Cake
Recipe courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
3 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups fresh frozen coconut, thawed
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut for garnish or fresh berries or fresh fruit slices
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, shortening and cream cheese until blended. Add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add coconut and vanilla extracts; mix well. Gradually add flour and baking powder; beat until smooth. Stir in thawed coconut flakes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven until a knife inserted into cake comes out clean or about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool on a cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes before removing cake from pan.
- Sprinkle with sweetened flaked coconut and/or fresh fruit for garnish.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Calories: 626; Total Fat: 32g; Saturated Fat: 16g; Cholesterol: 147mg; Total Carbs: 80g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 8g; Sodium: 184mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.