A comforting, old-fashioned oatmeal cake with a scrumptious broiled coconut topping.
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cream or evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over oats, mix well, and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup sugar until light. Beat in eggs, mixing well. Stir in flour mixture just until mixed. Stir in cooled oatmeal mixture just to combine. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until tested done when wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make topping by combining 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, coconut, melted butter, vanilla and cream in a mixing bowl.
- Remove cake from oven when done and turn on broiler.
- Drop topping mixture by small spoonfuls on top of cake. Carefully spread evenly over cake. Broil for 2 to 5 minutes or until topping is bubbling and lightly browned.
Makes 12 servings.