Making a homemade spice cake is as easy
as placing all the ingredients into a mixing bowl, beat for 2
minutes, then spread the cake batter into a prepared pan and
bake...it's just that easy! Frost this cake with our recipe for
Caramel Frosting for the perfect cake and frosting flavor combination.
Another delicious recipe from our Family-Favorite
One-Bowl Spice Cake
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon white distilled
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)*.
Grease and lightly flour** a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, or 2
(9 x 1 1/2-inch) round pans. Set aside.
- First place the milk and vinegar in a
large mixing bowl, stir and then add the remaining ingredients
and beat on low speed just until ingredients are wet, increase
speed to medium-high and continue beating for 2 minutes. Pour
batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake a 13 x 9 x 2-inch cake for 45 minutes,
or until tested done***.
- Bake the 9-inch round cakes for 35 to
40 minutes, or until tested done.
- Cool cake(s) on a wire rack. (Cool the
9-inch cakes on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans
and cool completely on wire racks.)
- When cake is completely cool, frost with
Caramel Frosting or as desired.
Makes 12 servings.
*If using a dark baking pan(s) or glass
baking dish, reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
**If serving the cake directly from the
13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, there is no need to dust with flour.
Flouring a greased baking pan simply makes removal of the baked
cake from the pan easier.
***To Test Cake: A cake is done when a
wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or
cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12
of recipe): 350.3 calories; 35% calories from fat; 13.8g total
fat; 62.0mg cholesterol; 429.8mg sodium; 135.8mg potassium; 51.8g
carbohydrates; 0.9g fiber; 31.5g sugar; 51.0g net carbs; 5.2g
Copyright Hope Pryor, please see Terms
of Use. Photograph by Hope Pryor; property of CooksRecipes.com.