One-Bowl Spice Cake
Making a homemade spice cake is as easy as placing all the ingredients into a mixing bowl, beat for 2 minutes, then spread the cake batter into a prepared pan and bake. It's just that easy!
1 1/3 cups milk
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)*. Grease and lightly flour** a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, or 2 (9 x 1 1/2-inch) round pans. Set aside.
- First place the milk and vinegar in a large mixing bowl, stir and then add the remaining ingredients and beat on low speed just until ingredients are wet, increase speed to medium-high and continue beating for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake a 13 x 9 x 2-inch cake for 45 minutes, or until tested done***.
- Bake the 9-inch round cakes for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tested done.
- Cool cake(s) on a wire rack. (Cool the 9-inch cakes on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.)
- When cake is completely cool, frost with Caramel Frosting or as desired.
Makes 12 servings.
*If using a dark baking pan(s) or glass baking dish, reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
**If serving the cake directly from the 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, there is no need to dust with flour. Flouring a greased baking pan simply makes removal of the baked cake from the pan easier.
***To Test Cake: A cake is done when a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 350.3 calories; 35% calories from fat; 13.8g total fat; 62.0mg cholesterol; 429.8mg sodium; 135.8mg potassium; 51.8g carbohydrates; 0.9g fiber; 31.5g sugar; 51.0g net carbs; 5.2g protein.