Orange-Cranberry Crumble Upside-Down Cake
The flavors of orange and cranberry give this upside-down streusel cake a festive, holiday flair.
1 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (do not thaw) cranberries
2 oranges, peeled, sliced and halved
4 teaspoons grated orange peel - divided use
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
8 tablespoons butter
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup milk
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In medium saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar, water and cornstarch, mixing well. Stir in cranberries. Heat to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in oranges and 2 teaspoons orange peel. Spread into 9-inch quiche dish or 9x9x2-inch square baking pan.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, remaining 1/3 cup sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons orange peel; mix well. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in oats, milk and egg whites, mixing until moistened. Spread over fruit layer.
- Bake 28 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan on wire rack. Invert onto serving platter. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.