Orange Liqueur Cake
A Drambuie-spirited, zesty orange cake.
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
4 tablespoons grated orange peel - divided use
2 1/2 teaspoons orange extract - divided use
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup Drambuie or other orange liqueur
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Add 2 tablespoons of the orange peel and 2 teaspoons of the orange extract with the liquids; mix gently. Bake according to package directions.
- While cake is cooling, mix sugar, water and salt in a small saucepan. Heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Add butter and bring mixture to a boil. Allow to boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to 140°F to 150°F (60°C to 65°C).
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons orange peel, remaining 1/2 teaspoon orange extract, and Drambuie; mix well.
- Drizzle glaze evenly over cake.
Makes 12 servings.