Pecan Pumpkin Torte
The festive autumnal flavors of pumpkin, pecans and spices create this showcase torte.
2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (18-ounce) package carrot cake mix
1 cup cooked pumpkin
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons water
3 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine wafer crumbs, chopped pecans and 1/2 cup butter in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture evenly on bottom of three greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Combine cake mix, pumpkin, 1/4 cup butter and eggs in same bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Spread 1 3/4 cups batter over crumbs in each pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar, 2/3 cup butter, cream cheese and vanilla in small mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until light and fluffy.
- Place one cake nut-side down on serving plate. Spread cake with 1/2 cup filling mixture. Continue layering cakes with 1/2 cup filling mixture between layers. Frost sides only of cake with remaining filling. Spread caramel ice cream topping over top of cake, drizzling some over sides. Arrange pecan halves in ring on top of cake. Store refrigerated.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories: 570, Fat: 34 g, Cholesterol: 95 mg, Sodium: 450 mg, Carbohydrates: 65 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 5 g.