These tiny individual cakes, frosted on all sides and prettily decorated, are perfect for serving at tea parties, showers and holiday celebrations.
1 (18.25-ounce) package your favorite flavor cake mix
3 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
A few drops food color (optional)
Edible real candied or sugared flowers
Frosting flowers, leaves and swirls
- For Cake: Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 2 (8-inch) square baking pans. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions and divide batter evenly between the two prepared baking pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tested done with a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans. Allow cakes to cool completely. Trim the edges from cake to create more uniform miniature cakes; then cut each cake into 24 pieces.
- For Frosting: Combine sugar, cream of tartar and water in 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil (12 to 14 minutes). Cover; boil 3 minutes. Uncover; continue cooking until candy thermometer reaches (228°F to 234°F / 110°C) or small amount of mixture dropped into ice water forms a 2-inch soft thread (15 to 20 minutes). Remove from heat and cool without stirring to 110°F (45°C) or until pan is just warm to the touch. Stir in powdered sugar, vanilla extract and food color.
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet (to catch the drips and reuse as needed). Place cake pieces on wire rack. Carefully spoon icing over cakes, allowing it to drizzle down over sides. (If icing becomes too thick, reheat over low heat until consistency is thin enough to continue icing cakes).
- Garnish each petit four as desired with edible real candied or sugared flowers, or flowers, leaves or decorative swirls made of decorator frosting.
Makes 48 petits fours.