Pineapple Crunch Cake
No need to frost this cake, the coconut-brown sugar topping is spread on the cake before baking.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (8.75-ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup (1 cup)
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- In small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Drain pineapple well, reserving 1/2 cup syrup; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream shortening, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Add flour mixture alternately with reserved syrup, beating after each addition. Spread half of the batter evenly in prepared baking pan; spoon pineapple over. Cover with remaining batter.
- Combine coconut, brown sugar, walnuts and butter; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done when wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Serve slightly warm.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.