Prune or Plum Cake
A moist and delicious cake made with fresh Italian prunes or plums and frosted with cream cheese icing.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon each salt, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
1 cup cut-up Washington Italian prunes or plums
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 cup chopped nuts
Cream Cheese Icing:
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Milk, as needed
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices; mix well. Add fruit, water, oil, eggs and nuts. Mix thoroughly with electric mixer or 300 strokes by hand.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 40 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool about 12 to 15 minutes and remove from pan.
- When cooled completely, spread Cream Cheese Icing over top and sides.
- For Cream Cheese Icing: Combine 1 (3-ounce) package softened cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a small amount of milk. Blend until smooth.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.