Pumpkin Roll with Pistachios
No one really ever tires of the traditional holiday pumpkin pie, but the choice will be difficult when you serve this delicious alternative.
3 large eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2/3 cup sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup natural California pistachios, chopped
Pistachio Cream Cheese Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
1 cup natural California pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a 15x10x1-inch pan with waxed paper or parchment; grease and flour.
- Beat eggs on high, add sugar gradually until very thick and volume is tripled, about 5 minutes. Fold in lemon juice and pumpkin gently.
- Sift combined dry ingredients except pistachios over egg mixture; lightly fold in. Spread into prepared pan and sprinkle with pistachios.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Turn cake out onto waxed paper and trim crisp edges with knife. Working quickly, cover cake with second sheet of waxed paper and roll up from short side, rolling paper inside. Set aside.
- For Pistachio Cream Cheese Filling: Beat cream cheese and butter together with powdered sugar and lemon zest until creamy. Stir in pistachios.
- When cake has cooled, unroll and spread filling over entire surface. Re-roll cake. Slice to serve.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Pistachio Board.