Red Ribbon Coffee Cake
Enjoy this crumb-topped coffee cake, with a lovely ribbon of red cranberry sauce running through the center, with steaming cups of robust coffee or fragrant tea.
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
1 (16-ounce) can Ocean Spray® Jellied Cranberry Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9 1/4-inch quiche pan.
- Combine topping ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or fork, work butter into dry ingredients until butter is the size of small peas. Set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients for the batter in a medium mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or fork, work butter into dry ingredients (see topping). Combine liquid ingredients in a separate mixing bowl. Add to flour mixture, mixing just until the dry ingredients are moist.
- Spread half of the batter into pan. Place cranberry sauce in small bowl and beat with a fork until smooth. Spread over batter. Dollop remaining batter over top. Gently spread with a rubber scraper. Sprinkle topping over coffee cake.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Makes 9 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/9 of recipe): Cal. 389, Total Fat 13grams, Saturated Fat 8grams, Protein 5grams, Carb. 63grams, Chol. 58mg, Dietary Fiber 2grams, Sugar 33grams, Vit. A 135RE, Folate 12Ug, Vit. E <1mg, Vit. C <1mg, Sodium 234mg, Pot. 72mg, Iron 1.5mg, Calcium 81mg, Zinc <1mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.