Red Velvet Cake
This easy red velvet cake is made extra moist with the addition of — gulp! — mayonnaise (which is actually a shortcut method of adding extra egg and oil). A cream cheese frosting finishes it off perfectly.
1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
3 large eggs
1 1/3 cups water
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with wax paper.
- Beat cake mix, eggs, water, mayonnaise and food coloring in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Immediately remove wax paper. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition. Stir in pecans.
- Spread cream cheese icing on top of one cake layer, place second layer on top and finish frosting entire cake.
Makes 12 servings.