Rhubarb Cake with Cinnamon Sugar Topping
Topped with a simple sugar and cinnamon mixture, this delicious rhubarb cake needs no frosting.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups finely chopped fresh rhubarb
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Cream 1 cup sugar, brown sugar and shortening in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add egg and beat well.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and vanilla, beating on low speed after each addition.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Combine cinnamon and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 12 servings.