Royal Raspberry Rum Cake
This splendid, butter-rum glazed yellow cake has ribbons of raspberry jam and melted chocolate baked throughout.
1 cup pecans
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (4-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
4 large eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark rum
1 (12-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate morsels, melted
1 cup raspberry jam, warmed to room temperature
Buttered Rum Icing:
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons rum
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Sprinkle one cup pecans over bottom of a greased and floured 10-inch tube or 12-cup Bundt® pan. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cake mix with instant pudding, eggs, cold water, oil and 1/2 cup dark rum, mixing well.
- Pour 1/3 cake batter over pecans. Drizzle melted chocolate evenly over batter in pan.
- Pour another 1/3 of cake batter over melted chocolate.
- Spoon raspberry jam evenly over batter.
- Pour remaining batter on top of jam.
- Bake for 1 hour or until tested done when wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 to 15 minutes before removing cake from pan.
- While cake is still warm, prick top of cake with the tines of a long fork and drizzle and smooth glaze over top and sides of cake.
- For Butter Rum Icing: Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in rum.
Makes 12 servings.