Simple Vanilla Icing with Variations
A great basic vanilla-flavored icing, with variations, perfect for drizzling atop sweet quick breads, yeast breads, muffins, cakes, bars, cookies and more.
A Family-Favorites Recipe.
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
2 to 4 tablespoons milk or water*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients with enough milk or water to the desired consistency, less liquid for a thicker consistency, more for thinner.
Makes about 2 cups.
*Start with the least amount of liquid and add more until desired consistency is reached.
- This is a very forgiving recipe, if it becomes too thin add more powdered sugar and too thick add more liquid until you're happy with it.
- Need less icing? Recipe can be successfully reduced by half.
- Butter-Rum Icing: Omit the vanilla and add 1 teaspoon rum flavoring.
- Chocolate Icing: Stir in 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and use hot water, increasing water to 5 or 6 tablespoons.
- Lemon Icing: Stir in 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel and replace milk or water with lemon juice.
- Orange Icing: Stir in 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel and replace milk or water with orange juice.