Slow-Cooker Fudge Pudding Cake
For a great, make-ahead dessert, try this chocolate fudge pudding cake. Simply layer the ingredients in a slow cooker about three hours before you're ready to serve.
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups boiling water
Vanilla ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Spray the crock-pot with cooking spray.
- For First Layer: Mix brown sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in milk, butter and vanilla. Spoon batter into bottom of greased crock-pot (dough will be very thick).
- For Second Layer: Mix together brown sugar and cocoa. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Do not stir.
Pour boiling water over the top. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the crock-pot (pudding will be bubbling through).
- Serve immediately straight from the crock-pot with ice cream or whipped cream if desired. Or let set for 10 minutes and then invert onto a plate. Spoon pudding left in the pot over the cake.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wheat Foods Council.