Sour Cream Banana Cake
A moist and flavorful banana layer cake with a fluffy, sour cream frosting, a delicious alternative to cream cheese frosting.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter
4 large eggs
4 large or 5 small bananas, mashed
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
Sour Cream Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup sour cream, or as needed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans or a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside
- In large mixing bowl, cream brown sugar and 1 cup butter, add eggs one at a time; beating well after each addition. Add bananas, flour mixture, 1 cup sour cream and vanilla. Stir in nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s). For 9-inch pans, bake for 30 to 40 minutes; for 13x9x2-inch pan bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until cake(s) test done when wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- For cake baked in 9-inch pans, cool for 10 to 15 minutes on wire rack before removing from pans. Cool completely before frosting.
- For Sour Cream Frosting: Mix butter, powdered sugar and sour cream, adding more if needed. Add vanilla and beat until fluffy and of spreading consistency.
Makes 12 servings.