Special Ice Cream-Chocolate Cake Roll
Jelly roll move over! Everyone is going to love this scrumptious chocolate cake roll filled with vanilla ice cream.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
Powdered sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan with vegetable shortening. Line with parchment or wax paper and grease again.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa and baking powder; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until pale in color, about 5 minutes. Fold in flour mixture. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Invert cake onto clean towel; remove wax paper. Roll up cake with towel from short side. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread with ice cream. Reroll cake without towel; press seam-side down. Cover; freeze until firm.
- Sprinkle top lightly with powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.