Spiced Applesauce Cake with Butterscotch Chips
A moist and flavorful spiced applesauce cake loaded with sweet butterscotch chips.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups applesauce
2 large eggs
1 (11-ounce package) butterscotch chips
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl place all ingredients, except the butterscotch chips and walnuts and mix with an electric mixer on slow until ingredients are combined, then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in butterscotch chips and walnuts, if desired. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake 45 for 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Sprinkle top of cooled cake with powdered sugar.
Makes 12 servings.