Starlight Double Delight Cake
An unusual twist in preparation, the frosting is made first!
2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
6 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup hot water
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
2 cups frosting, prepared as directed
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In large bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter, vanilla and peppermint extract; blend until smooth. Add powdered sugar alternately with hot water, beating until smooth. Blend in chocolate. Keep covered with plastic wrap.
- In another large bowl, combine 2 cups of the frosting mixture and 1/4 cup butter; blend well. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and milk; beat until smooth. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes on wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer, top side down, on serving plate; spread with about 1/4 of remaining frosting. Top with second layer, top side up. Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. Store in refrigerator.
Makes 12 servings.