Strawberries 'N Cream Cake
A spectacular springtime dessert, layers of cake are pressed into, filled and molded inside of a large bowl; once set the cake is unmolded, frosted with whipped topping and garnished with strawberries.
1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
1/4 cup strawberry jam
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 (3.5-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup milk
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (8-ounce) container frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
4 cups strawberries
- Line a large bowl with two overlapping sheets of plastic wrap; set aside. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans; set aside.
- Combine the cake mix, strawberry jam, eggs and vegetable oil in a large mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, beat mixture on low until ingredients are just combined, then increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, scrapping the bowl occasionally to insure even mixing. Divide batter evenly into the two prepared cake pans and bake as directed on package.
- Cool cakes in pan on wire rack for about 12 to 15 minutes, then carefully run knife around the edge of pan and invert cakes onto rack to cool completely. Once cool, slice each layer in half horizontally.
- In a large bowl, combine instant vanilla pudding mix and milk. Beat in softened cream cheese until smooth.
- Press one rounded-top layer into the plastic wrap lined bowl. Spread 1/3 of the pudding mixture over the cake. Repeat the layers, top-side down. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours. Unmold onto a serving plate and frost with non-dairy whipped topping. Garnish with halved strawberries.
Makes 12 servings.