Strawberry Angel's Cake
The center of this delighful angel food cake is filled with a sweet cocoa cream and strawberries, and then frosted with the cocoa cream.
1 (10-inch) angel food cake (purchased or homemade)
2 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 pint baskets fresh California strawberries, stemmed and halved
- Slice off entire top of cake about 1-inch down; set aside.
- To form tunnel, cut around cake 1-inch from outer edge and 1-inch from inner edge. Leaving a base of cake 1-inch thick on the bottom. Gently pull out cake within cuts. Place hollowed cake on serving plate.
- In bowl combine cream, sugar and cocoa; whip until soft peaks form.
- Fold half the strawberries into half the whipped cream; spoon into cake tunnel, pressing down firmly. Replace top of cake; press gently.
- Frost cake with remaining cream mixture. Cover top of cake with remaining strawberries. Chill about 15 minutes before slicing to serve.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 294 calories; 4 g protein; 15 g fat; 37 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 54 mg cholesterol; 92 mg sodium.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved.