Sweet Polenta Cake
An Italian sweet polenta cake, amor di polenta.
1 1/2 cups butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar for dusting
2 large egg yolks
1 ounce Galliano liqueur
6 ounces ground almonds
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active baker's yeast
1 cup cornmeal, finely ground
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 large whole eggs
- Butter a fluted or rectangular deep mold and dust with granulated sugar.
- Beat the sugar and the remaining butter to a creamy consistency. Add the egg yolks, liqueur and almonds.
- Mix the flour with yeast, cornmeal and vanilla, then sift into a mixing bowl.
- Combine the sifted ingredients with the butter mixture. Add the whole eggs and knead into a smooth dough.
- Pour into the mold and bake at about 350°F (175°C) for 50 minutes.
- Let cool, remove from mold and sprinkle with sugar before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: Cake will keep for several days wrapped in aluminum foil.
Recipe courtesy of The Italian Trade Commission.