Sweet Potato Bundt® Cake
No one will know this deliciously moist sweet potato spice cake is low-fat...unless you tell them.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup '1/3 less fat' margarine
3 large egg whites
1 large egg
2 (15-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed (about 2 cups) or 2 cups cooked, mashed fresh sweet potatoes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In large bowl, beat together sugar and margarine until blended. Add egg whites and egg, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in sweet potatoes.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture to first mixture, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Pour half of batter into a 10-Bundt® pan coated with nonstick cooking spray and dusted with flour. Sprinkle coconut over batter. Cover with remaining batter.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes; invert to serving platter.
Makes 16 servings.
Optional Glaze: In small bowl, mix together 1 cup confectioners’(powdered) sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Drizzle over cooled cake.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe without glaze): CAL 194.9 (16% from fat); FAT 3.717g; PROTEIN 3.211g; CARB 37.81g; CHOL 13.25mg; SODIUM 209.2mg.
Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.