Sweet Potato Pound Cake
A rich and moist sweet potato Bundt® pound cake with toasted almonds and coconut.
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup mashed yams
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- In a medium bowl, cream shortening with softened butter; add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in 1 cup puried yams, almond extract, and coconut extract.
- Spread slivered almonds in a shallow pan and bake at 300°F (150°C) for 3 to 5 minutes to toast.
- Increase the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- Sprinkle toasted slivered almonds and flaked coconut over the bottom of a greased and floured fluted cake pan. Pour the batter into the pan then bake at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes; remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.