Sweet Potato Pound Cake
Sweet potato adds moistness, texture and the golden hue, and orange peel adds zesty flavor to this extraordinary pound cake.
Pound Cake Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
4 large eggs
1 cup canned mashed sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup orange marmalade
Sweetened whipped cream, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and butter in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (1 to 2 minutes). Continue beating, adding eggs one at a time, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Add sweet potatoes and orange peel.
- Reduce speed to low. Beat, gradually adding flour mixture alternately with milk, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
- Spoon batter into two greased (9-inch) round cake pans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Spread 1/4 cup marmalade over top of each warm cake.
- To serve, cut into wedges; dollop with whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 16 servings.
Tip: Cake can be baked in greased and floured 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup Bundt® pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Cool in pan 15 minutes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories: 290, Fat: 13 g, Cholesterol: 85 mg, Sodium: 290 mg, Carbohydrates: 41 g, Dietary Fiber: 0 g, Protein: 4 g.