Sweet Potato Pound Cake
The orange glaze makes this spiced sweet potato pound cake extra special.
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
3 large egg whites
2 (15-ounce) cans sweet potatoes (yams), drained and mashed or 2 cups fresh sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1/3 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, optional
2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until blended. Add egg and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in sweet potatoes and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange rind.
- Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating well after each additions. Stir in coconut and walnuts.
- Pour batter into a 10-inch Bundt® pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; invert onto a serving plate.
- In small bowl, mix together orange juice and powdered sugar. Spoon glaze over cake.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): CAL 265 (30% from fat); FAT 9g; PROTEIN 4.7g; CARB 42.3g; CHOL 13mg; SODIUM 175mg.
Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.
Recipe courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.