Taffy Apple Cake
This autumn-inspired spice cake has bits of soft caramel candy and chopped apple throughout.
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 large eggs
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
16 soft caramel candies
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped apples, peeled
Vanilla ice cream (optional)
Caramel sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease and flour a 10-inch tube or Bundt® pan.
- Unwrap and cut each caramel into 8 pieces.
- In a large mixer bowl cream butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well Gradually add flour, cinnamon and allspice to egg mixture. Blend at low speed until thoroughly combined. Stir in caramel pieces and chopped apples.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 70 to 80 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool upright in pan for 15 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve cake warm or cool.
- Serve with ice cream and caramel sauce, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.