The Ugly Duckling Cake
With results similar to the classic children's story, this 'homely' cake at first appears unattractive but ends up beautiful—tasting that is! This cake has been around for years, its original source is unknown.
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (16-ounce) can fruit cocktail in juice, undrained
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
2 large eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Lightly grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Combine cake mix, fruit cocktail, coconut and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle cake batter evenly with the brown sugar.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until tested done by inserting a wooden pick into center and it comes out clean.
- Top hot cake with Coconut Topping.
- For Coconut Topping: Bring butter, sugar and evaporated milk to a boil in small saucepan. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in coconut. Spoon over hot cake.
Makes 12 servings.
Tip: For extra flavor and eye-appeal, garnish the cake with about 1/2 cup toasted coconut.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 255.6 calories; 50% calories from fat; 14.6g total fat; 58.6mg cholesterol; 101.5mg sodium; 158.7mg potassium; 30.3g carbohydrates; 1.0g fiber; 21.5g sugar; 29.3g net carbs; 2.6g protein.