Toasted Coconut Pound Cake
Toasted coconut adds a tropical, nutty flavor to this pound cake. Be sure to keep a close eye on the coconut to make sure it doesn't burn when toasting—you want it to turn golden brown. Serve as the finishing touch for a family patio party or to finish a Caribbean themed meal.
3/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted*
1 pound butter or margarine
1 pound confectioner's (powdered) sugar
4 large whole eggs
4 large egg whites
2 teaspoons imitation coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In blender, crush coconut to coarse consistency. Set aside.
- In large mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add egg whites; beat well. Blend in extracts. Gradually add combined flour, baking powder and coconut; mix just until thoroughly blended.
- Pour into greased and floured 10-inch Bundt® pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Before serving, sprinkle with additional powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
*To toast coconut, spread on shallow cookie sheet and toast in 325°F (160°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to toast evenly.Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.