A moist and delicious pineapple, cashew and coconut cake topped with a vanilla pudding and cream cheese frosting.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (or 2 cups all-purpose flour)
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, not drained
1 cup chopped cashews
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 (3.4-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 (8-ounce) container frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
Sweetened flaked coconut for garnish (optional)
Chopped cashews for garnish (optional)
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray or grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, soda and flour by hand. Stir in eggs, vanilla and pineapple with juice. Add cashews and coconut. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool
- For Frosting: Prepare pudding as instructed on package and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth and mix in prepared pudding. Fold in the whipped topping and spread over cooled cake. Sprinkle top with coconut and chopped cashews, if desired; refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wheat Foods Council.