Upside Down Pineapple Yam Cake
An American classic enriched with yams, both in flavor and nutrients.
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 cups sliced pineapple rounds, reserve juice
8 maraschino cherries, cut in half
2 tablespoons flaked coconut
1/4 cup walnut halves
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (15-ounce) can yams, drained and mashed
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups pineapple juice plus water to equal amount
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Melt butter in the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch pan and sprinkle with brown sugar evenly over the melted butter. Arrange the pineapple and cherry halves (cut side up) on top the brown sugar. Sprinkle with coconut and walnuts.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix, cinnamon, mashed yams, oil, eggs, egg whites, and water. Carefully spoon the batter into the pan, as not to disturb the fruit.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert onto a serving platter and allow it to cool slightly before serving.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.