Virginia's Almond Pound Cake
This wonderful almond-flavored pound cake pairs perfectly with sweetened berries, peaches or nectarines and whipped cream.
2 cups butter or margarine, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons almond extract
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon almond extract
Powdered sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Cake: In a bowl with an electric mixer at low speed, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and almond extract. Stir in flour, mixing until just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and top hot cake with Almond Topping.
- For Almond Topping: In a saucepan combine water and sugar; bring to a boil and cook 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in almond extract. Drizzle on top of the warm cake.
- Cool cake completely and sprinkle powdered sugar on top, if desired.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.