A lemon and vanilla-scented fruitcake, chock-full of pecans and candied pineapple and cherries.
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 pound candied pineapple, chopped
1 pound candied cherries, chopped
4 cups broken pecans
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon extract
- Grease a paper-lined springform tube pan with butter or margarine.
- Cream butter well. Add sugar gradually and beat until light and fluffy. Beat eggs. Add into creamed mixture, blending well.
- Mix fruit and nuts with small portion of sifted flour. Sift remaining flour and baking powder together.
- Fold flour mixture into egg and butter mixture. Add flavorings. Mix well. Fold in fruit and nuts.
- Pour into prepared tube pan.
- Place in a cold oven and bake at 250°F (120°C) for 3 hours.
- Cool in pan on cake rack.
- When cool, wrap tightly in foil. Store in canister 4 to 8 weeks.
Makes 1 cake or 2 loaves.