White Mountain Frosting with Variations
This fluffy, meringue-like frosting is also known as seven minute frosting. No matter what you call it, it is delicious and turns any cake into a masterpiece worthy of being put on a pedestal.
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a 1-quart saucepan. Cover and heat to a rolling boil over medium heat. Uncover and cook, without stirring, to 242°F (115°C) on a candy thermometer or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a ball that flattens when removed from water. Cooking time can take between 4 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile using an electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites in a medium bowl just until stiff peaks form. Reduce speed to medium and while beating constantly, very slowly pour hot syrup in a steady, thin stream into the egg whites. Add the vanilla and continue beating at high speed for about 10 minutes until stiff peaks form.
Makes enough to frost a 13x9x2-inch cake or fill and frost 2 (8 or 9-inch) cake layers, or 24 cupcakes.
- Cherry-Nut Frosting: Stir in 1/4 cup chopped candied cherries, 1/4 cup chopped nuts (toasted if desired) and a few drop red food coloring (optional).
- Chocolate Revel Frosting: Stir in 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips or 1 ounce coarsely grated unsweetened chocolate.
- Coffee Frosting: Substitute packed brown sugar for the granulated sugar. Decrease vanilla to 1/2 teaspoon and beat in 1 teaspoon powdered instant coffee.
- Orange Frosting: Substitute 1/2 teaspoon orange extract for the vanilla and add 1 teaspoon grated orange zest.
- Peppermint Frosting: Stir in 1/3 cup coarsely crushed peppermint candy or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Satin Brown Sugar Frosting: Substitute packed brown sugar for the granulated sugar and decrease vanilla to 1/2 teaspoon.
Note: It is recommended to avoid preparing this type of frosting on humid days, although not impossible to make, it will require a longer beating time.