Here's an easy recipe to candy and preserve fresh cherries. Use them in baked goods, to top cakes and desserts and other goodies.
Ingredients:1 pound fresh (sweet or sour) cherries, rinsed, stemmed and pitted
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 fresh lemon
1 cup apple juice
- In a non-reactive saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Add the cherries and the lemon half. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the syrup is red and slightly thick, about 20 minutes.
- Cover and let stand 2 to 3 hours, or overnight.
- Strain the cherries, reserving the syrup, and set them aside.
- Discard the lemon half and add the apple juice to the reserved syrup.
- Bring the syrup to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Return the cherries to the syrup, reduce the heat and cook slowly until the syrup is thick, about 220°F (105°C) on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and cool. The cherries can be stored in a tightly covered container for at least six months in the refrigerator.
Makes about 1 quart.