6 quarts unsalted popped popcorn
2 cups salted peanuts
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Measure popcorn and nuts into two 13x9x2-inch baking pans. Bake 5 minutes at 250°F (120°C) to crisp popcorn.
- In heavy saucepan, melt butter; add brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a full boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 5 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat; add baking soda and salt, then vanilla.
- Pour syrup over popcorn and nuts, dividing mixture evenly between the two pans, stirring to coat evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 250°F (120°C) for 50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Cool on waxed paper.
Makes 24 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.