Chewy praline candies are a long-time southern favorite.
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup butter
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, brown sugar, dark corn syrup, salt, water, and butter; bring to a boil. Stir in butter and cook to 230°F (110°C) on a candy thermometer.
- Slowly stir in evaporated milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly and keeping the temperature at 230°F (110°C), until all the evaporated milk is added.
- Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes; stir in vanilla.
- Beat until well mixed then drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.
- Cool until firm, wrap individually in plastic wrap.
Makes about 2 dozen candies.