Chocolate-Covered Easter Eggs
To make these chocolate-covered peanut butter candy eggs more fun, decorate them with fun whimsical designs, leaves and flowers, or pipe names on them with Royal Icing.
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 cups powdered sugar-divided use
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- In a mixing bowl cream peanut butter and butter until well mixed.
- Fold in coconut, nuts and one cup powdered sugar; mix well.
- Sprinkle some of the remaining powdered sugar on a clean flat surface. Turn peanut butter mixture onto sugared surface and knead in enough of the remaining sugar until mixture holds its shape when formed.
- Shape into small egg-shaped pieces. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, melt chocolate chips and shortening together, stirring until smooth.
- Dip eggs into melted chocolate mixture and place on waxed paper to harden. Store in tightly covered container.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen candy eggs.