Chocolate Bark with Pistachios & Dried Cherries
This candy is as quick and easy as 1-2-3! Melt the chocolate, add the goodies, let set and eat!
3/4 cup roasted, shelled pistachios (3 ounces), coarsely chopped
3/4 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
24 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped - divided use
- Line the bottom and sides of a jelly-roll pan or baking sheet with foil. (Take care to avoid wrinkles.)
- Toss pistachios with cherries (or cranberries) in a medium bowl. Divide the mixture in half; stir orange zest into 1 portion.
- Melt 18 ounces chocolate in a double boiler over hot water. (Alternatively, microwave on low in 30-second bursts.) Stir often with a rubber spatula so it melts evenly.
- Remove the top pan and wipe dry (or remove the bowl from the microwave). Stir in the remaining 6 ounces chocolate, in 2 additions, until thoroughly melted and smooth.
- Add the pistachio mixture containing the orange zest to the chocolate; stir to mix well. Working quickly, scrape the chocolate onto the prepared pan, spreading it to an even 1/4-inch thickness with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the remaining pistachio mixture on top; gently press it into the chocolate with your fingertips. Refrigerate, uncovered, just until set, about 20 minutes.
- Invert the pan onto a large cutting board. Remove the pan and peel off the foil. Using the tip of a sharp knife, score the chocolate lengthwise with 6 parallel lines. Break bark along the score lines. Break the strips of bark into 2 to 3-inch chunks.
Makes 4 dozen (48) pieces.
Nutrititional Information Per Serving (1/48 of recipe): Calories 79, Fat 5g, Saturated Fat 2g, Monounsaturated Fat 0g, Sodium 0mg, Potassium 26mg, Cholesterol 0mg, Carbohydrates 11g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 1g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of EatingWell; through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.