Cocoa Popcorn Crunch
This chocolate-covered popcorn treat has the satisfying taste of chocolate and crunchiness of popcorn without the added fat.
3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon glycerin* (optional)
6 quarts popped popcorn
- Place popcorn in a large bowl that has been sprayed with cooking spray; set aside. Line a baking sheet or work surface with waxed paper or foil.
- Stir sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla together in a medium saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture registers 250°F (120°C) on a candy thermometer.
- Stir in glycerin, if desired, and pour hot mixture over popcorn.
- Stir to coat popcorn completely.
- Spread popcorn onto prepared surface and allow to completely. Break into pieces to serve.
- Store in an airtight container.
Makes 6 quarts; 24 (1 cup) servings.
*Popcorn will have more sheen with the addition of glycerin; available at drug stores.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.