Coconut Delight Candy
Rich candy squares loaded with coconut, raisins, candied pineapple and candied cherries, topped with creamy milk chocolate.
5 2/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple
1/4 cup chopped candied cherries
3/4 cup golden raisins
3/4 cup chopped raisins
3 cups light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
2 cups granulated sugar
1 (12-ounce) package milk chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegetables shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- Line a 13 x 9 x2-inch baking pan with lightly buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Place coconut, candied fruit, raisins and pecans in a large bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a saucepan combine corn syrup, salt, water and sugar. Cover tightly
and bring to a boil. Remove cover and cook to the soft ball stage, 236°F (110°C) or when mixture forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water but flattens when removed.
- Pour cooked syrup over fruit and nut mixture; mix thoroughly and pour into prepared pan.
- Melt chocolate with shortening in double boiler over simmering water. Spread evenly over candy mixture. Allow to cool at room temperature.
- Remove candy from pan; peel off waxed paper and cut into 1-inch squares.
Makes 117 (1-inch) squares.